The Sacramento Press Club's Journalism Scholarships
- Online Application Process (see below for details and link)
- Applications due by March 31
- Read requirements and Gather Materials Before Beginning Application Process
In 2020, the Sacramento Press Club will award seven scholarships totaling at least $35,500. Individual scholarships will range from at least $4,000 to $8,000.
Students submit a single application to be considered for all of the scholarships.
1. Applicants must be college students who will be juniors, seniors or graduate students for at least one term in the 2020-21 academic year.
2. Applicants must have a connection to the nine-county Sacramento region (Sacramento, Yolo, San Joaquin, El Dorado, Placer, Sutter, Yuba, Nevada and Butte counties). There are three ways to meet this requirement. Applicants only need to meet ONE of the following to qualify:
a. Students from the Sacramento region (counties specified above)
b. Students enrolled in a Sacramento region college or university (SF Bay Area colleges/universities are NOT included in the Sacramento region)
c. Students who can show a demonstrated interest in covering news of the Sacramento region. This can include clips documenting your coverage of state political news or any issue that you believe ties into the region. Please explain in your cover letter.
ONLINE APPLICATION PROCESS
Please read the requirements below and gather the materials required before beginning our online application process. You will need to create a Google Drive shared folder of work samples and you may need to scan documents so they are in a digital form that can be uploaded. The deadline for applying is midnight March 31, 2020.
To apply, please create a Google Drive folder with the following documents:
1. Cover letter and resume. Provide a resume and brief letter (one page) explaining your motivation for a career in journalism, what you have already done to prepare for your career, and any related experience outside the classroom. for the scholarship and describe how you meet the eligibility requirements.
2. Your current transcript and cumulative GPA. The transcript will document the classes you have taken and your GPA for all college-level coursework taken to date. This can be a computer printout from your college/university’s online system or an official transcript. You will need to scan the document into a digital format that can be uploaded.
3. Five samples of your work. Samples can be audio, video and/or print files.
4. Acceptance letter. If you will be enrolled in a different college/university in 2020-21 than the one you are now attending, you will be asked to upload your acceptance letter. If you have not yet been accepted, please be prepared to bring an acceptance letter to your interview if you are selected as a finalist.
Using your own last name, please label you Google Drive folder “(Last Name)2020Application” and share it with firstname.lastname@example.org. You should expect to receive a confirmation email within a week of applying. Please also direct any questions to the email above.
In addition to the online process, you are required to have a letter of recommendation from a teacher, academic advisor or journalism workplace supervisor. Please request that the person email the letter of recommendation to email@example.com. The letter of recommendation must be received by the March 31st deadline.
To apply, please complete the form below and include a link to your Google Drive folder:
Click HERE to fill out the application form
Entries must be submitted online by midnight March 31, 2020.
WHAT WE LOOK FOR
Professional journalists, academics and sponsors of scholarships are the judges who select finalists. They look for signs of journalistic achievement to date, career promise, academic record and economic need.
Finalists will be chosen from the pool of applicants by mid-April, and all applicants will be notified about their status. Interviews with the finalists will be scheduled for late April. Interviews with finalists can be conducted via Skype or speakerphone if an applicant does not currently reside in the Sacramento region. Winners will be determined and notified immediately following the interviews.
Scholarships will be awarded at our May luncheon. It is our hope (but not required) that the recipients will join us as our guests so that Sacramento Press Club members can meet the winners of scholarships that they have made possible with their contributions.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.